BASIC PROJECT INFORMATION
- Name of the project:
CREATIVE STARTUP – Creative industry sector entrepreneurial capacity building in the cross border territory
Why this project could be called as an example of good practices?
1. Project background (project description):
The project addressed the problem of insufficient use of the creative industries sector potential for the increase of the global results of the entrepreneurial sector in Croatia and Slovenia. The project offered a platform to the development of the solutions for increasing the capacities and the visibility of the creative industries sector along four lines/groups of activities:
- the analyses of the creative industries sector
- awareness rising about the values of the sector and representation of the sector’s creative results
- capacity, expertise and potential building
- partnership building and strategic approach to the problems of the sector.
2. Project objectives:
The particular cross border objective of the project was to create and implement joint cross border system of management, as well as sharing of the resources of the creative entrepreneurs-beginners with precarious status, with an aim to augment their global competitiveness in the Slovenian and Croatian market as well as on other EU markets, which was aimed to be achieved through the following secondary objectives:
- awareness raising about the sector of creative industries and to promotion of its values;
- education and information of target groups on how to raise competitiveness while accepting actual scientific and technological trends;
- partnerships building while creating joint strategies for the development of the creative industries sector in the Slovenian – Croatian cross border territory, as wells on EU markets;
- promotion of products and services of the target groups, as well as the results of the project.
- 1 SWOT analyses of the creative industries sector in the project area developed;
- 2 maps of the local creative businesses created (1 – SI, 1 – HR);
- 1 joint bilingual strategy for the development of creative industries in the cross border territory developed;
- 1 draft of the curriculum for I-Arts (Interdisciplinary Arts) created;
- 1 education programme and guidelines created;
- 3 motivation seminars held for the target group (1 – SI, 2 – HR);
- 18 educational workshops (10 – HR, 8 – SI);
- 1 database of potential mentors created;
- 1 workshop for the presentation of the mentors held;
- Mentor work with individuals held (8 – SI, 8 – HR) – 16;
- Business plans created in cooperation with mentors (5 – SI, 5 – HR) – 10;
- 2 educational visits for target groups and project partners (1 – SI, 1 – AT (Graz);
- 1 bilingual internet project page for cross border networking of creative industries created;
- 2 cross border creative fairs organized (1 – SI, 1 – HR);
- 1 international “Creative forum” organized (1 – HR);
- 1 international public presentation event organized (1 – HR);
- 1 guide “Shop creative” prepared (HR- 5000 examples);
- 1 promotional bilingual film about the project;
- 5 media conferences held;
- 1 guide for creative business start up (500- HR, 500 – SI examples);
- 1 project logo created
- Informed creative businessmen through the motivational seminar – 150
- Educated created businessmen through the educational workshops – 150
- Educated creative businessmen through the educational visit – 150
- Presented and connected creative businessmen in the border area – 100
- General public informed – 2500
4. Identification of main features of good practices
Contribution to horizontal themes:
Specific activities were organised to raise awareness regarding the economic potential of the creative industries sector. Besides the analyses of the sector, design of policies and education, special information and promotion events were organised, which ensured that different stakeholders (students, young entrepreneurs, investors, media, governments) become aware about the potential of the sector and to contribute to its growth.
In addition, the knowledge transfer between professional institutions in Slovenia and Croatia has been achieved, allowing Croatian partners to use the methodology and examples of good practices used in Slovenia.
Contribution to implementation of EU policies:
The central goal of the project was to raise awareness of the potentials of the creative industries sector and to build its capacities. Since the European Commission planned a budget of €1.8 billion in the period 2014-2020 as support for the cultural and creative industries which have been identified as the major source of employment and economic growth in Europe, the project contributed to the development and competitiveness of the Croatian – Slovenian cross-border region and thus its connection with the European and global economic trends.
The project was based on EU policies, but also prepared on the basis of the local creative sectors’ initiatives and needs and thus included a social component, fostered especially through joint preparation of promotional activities and through activities aiming to raise awareness. The project also aimed at creating new partnerships between local governments as policies creators, chambers of commerce, regional development agencies, universities and creative communities, which are all indispensable factors in a chain that leads to successful development of the creative industries sector.
The project offers first joint integrated analyses of the resources of creative businessmen beginners in the cross border territory as bases for new EU projects. The implementation of the new international networking will enhance information sharing, exchange of experiences, promotion and exporting of goods, while enabling the integration of Croatian and Slovenian creative businessmen and services, and helping the development of the sector more than the actions of individual businessmen (for example, through the consortium a young creative entrepreneur will have access to the market of other members). In the general public, the project will promote the idea of common action and resources and raise awareness about the creative power of Europe in general.